Monday, August 17, 2009

Sailor's Sweetheart

O if love were had for asking
In the markets of the town,
Hardly a lass would think to wear
A fine silken gown:
But love is had by grieving
By choosing and by leaving,
And there's no one to ask me
If heavy lies my heart.

O if love were had for a deep wish
In the deadness of the night,
There'd be a truce to longing
Between the dusk and the light:
But love is had for sighing,
For living and for dying,
And there's no one to ask me
If heavy lies my heart.

O if love were had for taking
Like honey from the hive,
The bees that made the tender stuff
Could hardly be kept alive:

But love is a wounded thing,
A tremor and a smart,
And there's no one to kiss me now
Over my heavy heart.

Duncan Campbell Scott

Just a Little Explaination:

If love can be asked and received easily in markets,
All young girls would surely wear a silk gown.
But love involves a lot of heart break, choice and separations...
Sailor's lover has left him and now there's no one to comfort him.

If we could obtain love easily by a wish we made at night,
Lovers need not hunger for love during long lonely nights...
But love involves a lot of sacrifice....

If we could obtain love as easily as we extract honey from beehives,
Those who give such love, such as bees, would die of heartaches...
But love lost inflicts wounds and pains the lover..
The sailor's lover has left him heartbroken

--

Been rather busy lately, but here's something I stumbled upon from my old blog.

No comments: